The countdown is on!
Only a Few Hours Left to Make a Difference!
Your gift will help us to change the numbers!
Did you know that moms lead more than 80% of single-parent homes?
88.4% of single mothers live in poverty, 51.9% living in extreme poverty, there is little to no chance of improving the situation. Their limited financial situation becomes a constant obstacle for growing.
Today 1 in 4 children under the age of 18 — a total of about 16.4 million — are being raised without a father. Of all single-parent families in the U.S., single mothers make up the majority.
Children growing up in single-parent families typically do not have the same economic or human resources available as those growing up in two-parent families.
Children who grow up with only one of their biological parents (nearly always the mother) are disadvantaged across a broad array of outcomes.
- They are twice as likely to drop out of high school,
- They are 2.5 times as likely to become teen mothers, and 1.4 times as likely to be idle – out of school and out of work — as children who grow up with both parents.
- Children in one-parent families also have lower grade point averages,
- They have lower college aspirations and poorer attendance records.
- As adults, they have higher rates of divorce.
- These patterns persist even after adjusting for differences in race, parents’ education, number of siblings, and residential location.
Single Mothers Outreach works tirelessly to provide support to single moms. It is our hope to change the projections for their children and give them an opportunity to live in a world with the same gifts that other kids might have.